Black Friday advice for businesses and security teams
17 November 2017
We have teamed up with the Metropolitan Police to provide Black Friday advice for businesses and security teams to reduce general crime and anti-social behaviour for and around your business.
Black Friday, which will occur this year on 24 November 2017, has become one of the biggest shopping days of the year, when retailers reduce prices across their stock to kick-start the Christmas gift-buying season.
The Met Police Service are advising retail stores to review their security and ensure that adequate resources are in place to respond to the increased demand. Retailers should provide their own security arrangements during the sales, and consider police assistance only as a ‘last resort’.
The Met Police have informed us that last year there were incidents of overcrowding across London and arrests were made as shoppers clashed over bargains. Here are some helpful tips on what your business and security team can do to avoid mishaps:
- Have sufficient staff to cope with the increased demand
- Security officers should have a visible presence, clearly display ID badges and be briefed, crowded places can lead to more opportunities for pickpockets – The Marble Arch Street Team will be present to help with this
- Ensure staff are fully briefed to positively engage with customers
- Remain vigilant and report any suspicious activity to security or police
- Review and communicate any emergency/evacuation procedures to staff, ensure all necessary equipment, including first aid supplies, are readily available
- Have the ability to control access points in to your premises
- If you have access to a ‘ShopWatch’ radio, ensure it is utilised
- Check CCTV is fully operational and that you have available staff members who are trained to operate it
- Contact your local police or Business Partnership (Marble Arch London BID) if you have specific events which you feel they should be aware of
For businesses in the Marble Arch area, you can also contact the Street Team on 07825 750777 for immediate help or email StreetTeam@marble-arch.london to arrange a meeting or assistance in advance. The Street Team can can assist with persistent begging, dumped waste outside your premises, rickshaws, disruptive noise, shop-lifting or want to report a vulnerable rough sleeper.
In the event of an emergency, always call 999.