COVID-19 is having a significant impact on London’s business community. The Marble Arch BID will continue to deliver much-needed services for our members, both during and as we emerge from this crisis to facilitate recovery.
As part of the service we provide to our members, we take every opportunity to represent your concerns to policy makers. We are speaking with Westminster City Council, our fellow Business Improvement Districts, and with local businesses to understand the impact the virus is having on our members and on the wider economy around Marble Arch and Edgware Road.
We strongly advise following the Government’s official guidance on all aspects of the outbreak.
Marble Arch London Staff Team
We are sharing best practice and collaborating with our colleagues from BIDs across Westminster, no business is immune from the impact of this crisis and we want to make sure all businesses have the support they need.
We are adopting a more agile way of working with regular team communication with members. We are keen to remain positive and will continue to adapt to support our members in any which way we can. If you have any information you would like to share on how COVID-19 is impacting your business please get in touch with the team: email@example.com
We are reviewing our renewal ballot timetable and will update our members as the situation becomes clearer.
Marble Arch Street Team
The Marble Arch Street Team continue to patrol the BID area Monday to Saturday to support our operational members and ensure the security of those stores that have temporarily closed.
We amended their hours to reflect lower footfall during lockdown, with the team patrolling from 12 noon to 8pm. With the easing of restrictions the area is getting busier, so we are extending their hours from 8am-10pm from 8 June.
Their rota and breaks have been adjusted so they have more frequent access to hand-washing facilities. They have also been trained to stand side-on rather than face-to-face with members of the public.
To contact the Street Team please email firstname.lastname@example.org or call 07825 750 777. If you are worried about your business being unoccupied, the Street Team can add your premises to their patrol route. Please just get in touch.
Remember, if a crime is in progress or in an emergency, please call 999. To report a crime that has already taken place please call 101.
Recovery Plan: Supporting Our Members
Marble Arch London BID has launched its Recovery Plan, helping our members get back to business.
The Marble Arch Recovery Plan focuses on five pledges, as we emerge from this Covid-19 crisis to facilitate recovery.
- Advocacy and Lobbying – as the single external agency entirely focused on the Marble Arch and Edgware Road district, we have been working with Westminster City Council and Transport for London to create safer and wider walking routes, promoting food and beverage locations for extended tables and chairs and lobbying for a relaxation of Sunday trading laws. We have assisted business access grants and rates relief.
- A Safe Return – the BID has led the way on the external environment, providing queue markers and helping with queue management. We are helping our members access safe and sustainable travel options, as well as ensuring that work places can be Covid-safe.
- Enhanced Street Services – the Marble Arch Street Team are on hand to help our members six days a week, from 8am to 10pm. The BID is hot-washing pavements to ensure the environment clean, and we have successfully campaigned for the completion by TfL of crossing works at the remaining junctions on Edgware Road from July.
- Keeping you Connected – we will keep our members updated on the latest government advice and guidelines, and continue our popular webinar and training series, sharing best practice from overseas where it is applicable to the UK. We have joined the London Alliance consumer confidence campaign and are working with destination marketing agencies to roll out new domestic and international campaigns to support our hospitality sector. Our Community Programme has brought together hotels, venues and offices to support charities and schools throughout the crisis, and will continue to offer virtual volunteering until people return to their places of work and social distancing regulations are reduced.
- Advice and Intelligence – the BID will share real time information through our dedicated Covid Resource Centre, and ensure that every business sector receives the tailored advice and support it needs. Our Footfall Counters have proved invaluable in tracking visitor numbers throughout the pandemic and lockdown. An Edgware Road Insights Study is now underway to better define catchment areas and the impact of the pandemic on the district.
You can read or download our Marble Arch Recovery Plan here.
Footfall (compared to the corresponding week in 2019)
Marble Arch Community Programme
Many of our schools and charity partners are working tirelessly during this period to continue to deliver their services and support vulnerable members of the community. Whilst the government guidelines to self-isolate and work from home may limit what you can do, there are still plenty of ways we can support our local community.
Local campaigns support both the NHS and those people adversely affected or isolated by the spread of coronavirus and social isolation measures.
Guy in our team can help match you interests or signpost you to those needing support in these troubling times.
Find out more here.
Free Webinar Series
We have revised our popular training programme, adjusted it to the current climate and taken it online. Join us to hear from experts on insurance, cyber safety and employment law throughout April and May 2020.
- Monday 20 April 11am: Ask the BID
- Wednesday 22 April 10am: Employment law webinar with Michelmores
- Monday 4 May 11am: Insurance
- Monday 18 May 11am: Cyber safety
- Monday 1 June 11am: Recovery
All sessions are free. Please click here to find out more.
Marble Arch BID in the press
Ignorance about casino operations prevails, keeping them closed, Casino Compendium
PM allows employers ‘more discretion’ for office return, Property Week
How can hospitality recover from Coronavirus, Catering Today
Coronavirus: The positive industry moves, Big Hospitality
CoronaKindness, The Westminster Society