Look at Marble Arch in 1926

Take a look at Marble Arch in 1926 in this jaunty little film clip from Claude Friese-Greene’s ‘The Open Road’ originally filmed in 1925/6 and now re-edited and digitally restored by the BFI National Archive.

It is shot from a vehicle driving along what was then known as East Carriage Road in Hyde Park (now the northbound carriageway of busy Park Lane), through Cumberland Gate towards Marble Arch and Edgware Road.

The scene is definitely calmer than it would be found today and formal hat-wearing much more fashionable.

Find out more about this national monument in The Story of Marble Arch.