Meet Hamid, a Veolia City of Westminster Street Sweeper working to keep Edgware Road clean and tidy.
11. Can you explain your role in one sentence?I am a Street Sweeper for Veolia. I am responsible for the Edgware Road, specifically the area from the Marylebone Flyover to the Marble Arch monument.
22. How long have you been doing this role?I have been working as a Street Sweeper for the last 5 years.
33. Did you find yourself in this role by accident or by design?By design. I used to always walk past Veolia Street Sweepers when I lived on the Harrow Road. One day I decided to ask them if there were any jobs available and I was told to visit the Paddington Depot. I did and I was offered this role.
44. What’s the best part about your job?The satisfaction I get from seeing the streets all clean and tidy.
5 5. What’s the strangest thing that has ever happened to you in your job?On a few occasions members of the public have come up to me to thank me for my hard work. It is always nice when this happens, but it does make me feel strange as I am just doing my job.
66. What do you enjoy doing when you are not at work?I love to watch football. I particularly enjoy watching Manchester City and Barcelona. Riyad Mahrez (a Manchester City player) is from my home country, so I always like to keep an eye on how he is doing.
77. What do you like about this area?I like how everything is all in one place, there’s a great variety of restaurants, shops and services.
88. Where’s your favourite place to go for lunch in the local area?I really like Javu U Café, they do fantastic coffee.
99. Who is YOUR hero and what is it about them that inspires you?My hero is my three-year-old daughter. She always makes me so happy.
1010. If you could visit anywhere in the world, where would it be? It would have to be Australia. I hope to visit there soon.