Discover Marble Arch with John Nash. Marble Arch London BID has teamed up with Westminster Council to launch a series of free character-led talks around Marble Arch. Steeped in history, the district is home to one of London’s most famous monuments, and is often associated with free speech and protest, as well as playing host to many Royal processions.
As English Heritage commence a painstaking restoration of the Marble Arch, what better time to learn all about the monument’s history from its very own architect, from its design and original location at the entrance to Buckingham Palace to how it got to be in its current location next to Hyde Park.
On this character-led walk you’ll also discover grisly tales of execution from the Tyburn tree, and hear the colourful history of Speakers’ Corner. Walks commence at the Marble Arch monument, and last one hour.
The series, from 18 July to 19 August, are part of Westminster’s Council’s Inside Out programme which showcases free live performances, outdoor exhibitions, sculpture trails, walking tours, installations and pop-up activities to Central London.
Westminster Council’s Inside Out programme focuses on August 2023, but we have added some dates in July to accommodate as many people as possible.
Join us in July:
- Tuesday 18 July at 12.30pm, 2.00pm and 5.30pm
- Saturday 22 July at 11.00am and 2.00pm
- Thursday 27 July at 12.30pm, 2.00pm and 5.30pm
- Saturday 29 July at 11.00am and 2.00pm
Join us in August:
- Tuesday 1 August at 12.30pm
- Wednesday 2 August at 12.30pm
- Thursday 3 August at 10.30am and 12.30pm
- Saturday 5 August at 11.00am and 2.00pm
- Tuesday 8 August at 12.30pm
- Wednesday 9 August at 10.30am and 12.30pm (the walking tour at 12.30pm will be signed, with a BSL interpreter)
- Thursday 10 August at 12.30pm
- Tuesday 15 August at 12.30pm
- Thursday 17 August at 12.30pm
- Saturday 19 August at 11.00am and 2.00pm
Tickets are free and booking is essential. Book your tickets here.
All participants will be asked to complete a feedback form.
A special access walk is also planned on Wednesday 2 August at 10.30am, which is step-free and shorter. They would suit people with reduced mobility or energy and can accommodate carers. Please email firstname.lastname@example.org directly to book on this walk.