Transport for London have today commenced consultation on a package of measures aimed at improving safety on Edgware Road. Working closely with Marble Arch London TfL are proposing changes to junctions along Edgware Road, between the Marylebone Flyover and Marble Arch, which will improve safety for pedestrians and other road users.
The proposals include:
- Creating new pedestrian crossings, with green and red man signals;
- Adding count down timers to new and existing crossings;
- Creating more space for pedestrians on the pavement;
- Limiting speed for vehicles to 20 miles per hour;
- Providing new Advanced Stop Lines (cycle boxes) for cyclists.
The section of Edgware Road between Marylebone Flyover and Marble Arch is a busy residential, shopping and dining area, a key transport route linking three Tube stations and Paddington National Rail station, and, a major arterial road for buses and traffic moving around central London.
Despite large numbers of people using the road every day, the existing crossing facilities are poor. In some areas pedestrians cannot safely cross the road at all, at others, the existing pedestrian crossings do not have green and red man signals indicating when it is safe to cross.
The need for new and improved crossings is particularly important as there are four nurseries, two primary schools and three secondary schools within two minutes’ walk. Large numbers of parents and children travel to and from these destinations by using Edgware Road and its side street crossings
TfL will improve, replace or create new crossings at five junctions along Edgware Road. All new pedestrian crossings will include Pedestrian Countdown facilities and green and red man signals, to give pedestrians more information when crossing Edgware Road and its side streets. The junctions TfL propose to improve are:
- Chapel Street / Praed Street
- Sussex Gardens / Old Marylebone
- Kendal Street / George Street
- Connaught Street / Upper Berkeley Street
- Seymour Street
Marble Arch London BID is hosting exhibitions throughout the area to provide detail on proposed changes at each junction. Join us at one of the following for more information:
- Tuesday 20 November, 12pm to 2pm – Marble Arch House, 66 Seymour Street, W1H 5BT
- Wednesday 21 November, 2:30pm to 4:30pm – Marriott Marble Arch, 134 George Street, W1H 5DN
- Wednesday 28 November, 12 pm to 2pm – Capital House, 25 Chapel Street, NW1 5DH
- Wednesday 28 November, 4:30 pm to 6:30pm – Edgware Road station (Chapel Street), 25 Chapel Street, NW1 5DH
- Thursday 6 December, 6pm to 8pm – St John’s Hyde Park, 18 Hyde Park Crescent, W2 2QD
We look forward to seeing you at one of our exhibitions.
You can view the proposal diagrams here, see the modelling work here, and visit the TfL consultation page here.