Wider pavements are now in place as Transport for London rolls out Streetspace measures on Edgware Road.
The measures introduced by the Mayor of London are designed to transform London’s roads to give space to new cycle lanes and wider pavements to aid social distancing, accommodating an expected ten-fold increase in cycling and five-fold increase in walking when lockdown restrictions are eased.
As public transport capacity is substantially reduced compared to pre-crisis levels, millions of journeys a day will need to be made by other means. TfL’s measures are in place on the section of Edgware Road between Marylebone Flyover and Seymour Street and they aim to provide more walking and cycling space by using the existing carriageway.
From north to south along Edgware Road, the pavement has been extended into the nearside carriageway in the following locations:
- From no.258 to no.272 on the east side of Edgware Road, adjacent to Marks and Spencer;
- From no.216 to no.230 on the east side of Edgware Road;
- From no.186 to no.198 on the east side of Edgware Road;
- The entire eastern side of Edgware Road between Crawford Place and Harrowby Street, excluding the loading bay opposite McDonald’s, which will be retained and reduced to 15.9 meters;
- The western side of Edgware Road from no.139 Edgware Road (Simit Sarayi restaurant) to Barclays Bank;
- From no.115 (Ladbrokes) to no.121 (Beirut Café) on the west side of Edgware Road;
- The east side of Edgware Road adjacent to the Regent House development site;
- On both sides of Edgware Road between George Street/Kendal Street junction and Upper Berkley Street/Connaught Street junction, excluding the loading bay opposite Tesco Metro, which will be retained but reduced to 16.8 meters;
- On both sides of Edgware Road between the Berkley Street/Connaught Street junction and Seymour Street, excluding the loading bay opposite 56 Edgware Road (Beirut Express), which will be retained and reduced to 12.2 meters.
Streetspace measures on Edgware Road are marked by barriers. Access to local roads is maintained. The measures are temporary and will be kept under review as advice on social distancing is updated. Given the measures are being provided at short notice, please let us have any feedback to discuss with Tfl.