Strap on your helmet, pump up those tyres and flaunt that lyrca because the Westminster Cycling Festival returns to Marble Arch on Sunday, 17 June 2018 from 10:30 am to 5:00 pm! Whether you’re the next Bradley Wiggins or steadying yourself on some training wheels, the festival will be a circus of complimentary cycling celebrations and cheer! As this year’s Festival of Cycling occurs on Father’s Day, treat your dad to a day of activities plus brunch, lunch or dinner in the local area’s great restaurants and pubs with exclusive Dad’s Day deals here.
Taking place at Marble Arch in the centre of London, the festival will be bigger than before with some ‘wheelie’ great activities ranging from mainly free frivolous festivities to educational entertainment, including:
- Make like Mark Cavendish and try the mini velodrome
- Make your own healthy snack through a cycle powered smoothie maker with Active Westminster
- Design jewellery, keyrings, thaumatropes/zoetropes from bike bits
- Decorate bicycle shaped biscuits
- Watch STOMP but using bicycle pieces rather than drums
- Receive training advice for adults and children alike with ride information and balance bikes advice
- Shop bicycle accessories from basic to top of the range, tools, bells, panniers and baskets
- Cheer on the penny farthing cyclist extraordinaire
- Test the new E-bikes which might be launched in Hyde Park
- Have your photo drawn by a caricaturist
- Learn from the Westminster Library Service about what free resources local libraries can provide about cycling and bicycles
- Climb inside a real lorry and experience what’s it’s like for lorry drivers when a cyclist is in the blind spot and the dangers of the near side pass through the Met Police’s Exchanging Places programme and FM Conway
As part of improving air quality in central London, as well as promoting personal health, Westminster City Council will be providing new maps of the proposed quietways for cyclists. The map includes a network of roads with some cycle lanes and/or signage to help route finding, as well as the recommended routes that are located off the main roads helping cyclists to avoid polluted streets and high volumes of traffic especially heavy goods vehicles.
Grab your bike, your dad, your friends, your dog – whatever and whoever – to join us this Sunday for a day of complimentary cycling celebrations!
Festival of Cycling at Marble Arch – 3 September 2016